The extra mile is worth a league
Giving just a bit more takes you to a whole new level.
With the years I realized that what I used to think was good enough, it was, well, just enough. We live in a very competitive world and we interact with a lot of very smart people on a daily basis. You can no longer win by doing a good-enough job; you need to do something special.
To narrow the window for interpretation of what special means, here are some thoughts that try to contextualize what I am referring to. Thoughts that, in a way, fail miserably at contextualizing anything and get diluted in an all-encompassing list. I guess I should eat my own dog food and try a little harder next time.
At any rate, we should aim to:
- Expand your research to include more diverse sources
- Re-read and rewrite your work one more time
- Push that extra pixel
- Find the perfect colour choice
- Sand that edge
- Remaster, quantize and remix that soundtrack
- Fine tune that video transition
- Research more fonts
- Adjust that kerning and leading
- Measure twice and cut once
- Experiment until you get the perfect espresso (and take notes)
- Go for gold even if you got silver
- Straighten that painting
- Communicate to disarm and aim for win-win
- Call your friends in their birthdays (don’t just Facebook them)
What else should we add?